Home insurance in a shared apartment: how does it work?

Flat-share offers many benefits for those who choose this way of life. Conviviality, community life, rent reduction and expenses sharing seduce students and young professionals who wish to take advantage of large spaces without blowing their budget.

In an apartment or a house, it becomes mandatory to protect yourself from potential risks that could occur in your rental. How can you get home insurance when you are sharing a flat? Does it have to be the same for all roommates? Find all the answers to your questions in this detailed article!

What is the legislation for home insurance for shared flats?

As stipulated in article L121 of the Insurance Code, the dwelling must be insured to protect its occupants. This is, at this point, that home insurance for shared accommodation appears.

It is mandatory for tenants to subscribe to this service. In order to respect the agreement of the lease, the roommates must provide a certificate that they will have to show to the owner/landlord at the latest 1 month after they move in the flat-share. Otherwise, roommates unfortunately risk having their lease terminated.

But there’s no need to panic yet! You can avoid finding yourself in this situation. A single home insurance policy is sufficient for the entire flat-share. In fact, only one of the roommates can sign up to a home insurance policy for the entire roommates group. However, (s)he should make sure that this home insurance includes at least :

  • Civil liability coverage. This guarantee is valid if you cause moral, immoral, material and immaterial damages to a third party, and this, in an involuntary way. For example, the guarantee can be engaged if you set fire to the kitchen of your shared flat while preparing a meal, or if you injure one of your flatmates while rearranging your bedroom.
  • Rental risk coverage. This insurance will cover the damages you will receive from a third party in the building in which you reside. For example, the guarantee can be engaged if you undergo water damage caused by the apartment above, if your building and your apartment is the victim of a fire, or if there is a gas and pipe explosion.

Finally, note that the other occupants of the flat-share should at least subscribe to civil liability insurance. This will allow them to be covered in case of problem and to be compensated for their involvement. Find more information, online, about home insurance for shared apartments on the government’s Service Public website.

How to choose your home insurance?

Choosing a good home insurance is essential to protect your personal and the roommates’ belongings. This constitutes a guarantee for the housemates in case of jewels, works of art, computers and other multimedia objects’ theft, but also in case of destruction of your washing machine by a third party or of external disasters impacting your flat.

There are several types of home insurance for roommates. Depending on the insurer, different offers can be proposed to you, at rates that can vary from simple to double. Do not hesitate to ask for advice from professionals or go find online insurance comparison on websites such as Le Lynx.

You should know that it is not mandatory for all co-tenants to be insured at the same place.

For example, one tenant can choose to be insured within Matmut insurance, another with Maïf and another with AXA.

The benefits of coliving : everything is included

In coliving, rent a room in the shared apartment of your choice and get rid of all the tedious procedures!

This new way of life comes straight from the United States and combines the best of flat-share and coworking to offer multiple benefits to its tenants (also called “colivers”). It allows people from all over the world to live under the same roof, while keeping their privacy thanks to private spaces (mostly bedroom).

Coliving facilitates their installation, their stay and above all, they have no additional expenses such as water, internet, gas, electricity and especially home insurance. Everything is included in the rent. The colivers will only have to appreciate the immensity of their apartment to start a new friendship with their roommates.

As far as Colivys is concerned, you should know that we do take care of the mandatory home insurance contract for an apartment. This is coveredin the price of your rent. It includes a multi-risk insurance that protects you against the following risks :

  • Fire, related events and vandalism
  • Natural disasters
  • Climatic events
  • Attack and act of terrorism
  • Water damage
  • Theft: Property damage and furniture damage
  • Glass and sign breakage
  • Breakdown and electrical damage to computer and operating equipment

However, this insurance does not include civil liability insurance, and therefore as a colivers, you will have to subscribe to a civil liability contract. At Colivys, we provide you with a broker to assist you in the process of taking out a liability insurance policy. Do not hesitate to contact us for more information.

All your questions about the lease in a shared apartment

It’s hard to choose the right home insurance with all the different options availables. However, we recommend you to check that the chosen certificate includes, at the very least, civil liability coverage or rental risk coverage. Depending on the conditions, you can be compensated in case of problems caused by a third party or on a third party.

It is obligatory to subscribe to home insurance. It protects you from potential risks that may occur in your home. You will be covered in the event of an unintentional kitchen fire, or in the event of sudden water damage caused by one of your neighbors.

Good news! In order to facilitate your administrative procedures and phobias, all the roommates can subscribe to a home insurance policy. This one can be specific to them or one of the roommates can be the only one to subscribe. The other roommates will still have to sign a civil responsibility guarantee.